You can only tag people in the WhatsApp group chats and not in contact chats. Note that the steps below apply to Android, iPhone, and WhatsApp Web.
I use Windows 11 PC, iPhone (iOS 15.1), and Pixel 4a (Android 12). Let’s start.
How to Mention Someone in WhatsApp
Here are the steps:
- Open the group chat you want.
- At the bottom, tap the compose box.
- Type @, and you can see the list of the group’s participants. Tap the name of the person you wish to tag.
- Keep in mind that you can mention more participants by using the above step.
- After that, you can add a message like any other WhatsApp conversation. Send it.
What happens when you tag someone on WhatsApp?
- Tagged persons will receive a notification and see that you’ve tagged them.
- In the Chats tab, you can see the @ symbol in the group chat, which receives a message you’re tagged.
- Even if they have muted the group, they’ll receive this notification. This one doesn’t apply if you’ve been muted.
- In this message, anyone who taps their name (for example, S) will be taken to the Contact Info screen of S. On the WhatsApp Web, it’ll take them to the chat screen of S.
Here are some important questions and its answer:
- How to tag photos in WhatsApp app? After selecting the image, in the Caption field, follow the above steps to tag.
- How to mention someone in WhatsApp status? WhatsApp doesn’t have an option to do this task.
- How to mention everyone in the WhatsApp group at once? There is no option to do this task. But you can add all the participants one by one, as mentioned in the steps above.
Thanks for reading.