In this post, we’ll see:
How to Shut Down Windows 10 PC
Here, we’ll see how to shut down Windows 10 PC manually and automatically.
Also, we’ll see how to auto shut down Windows 10 computer after playback. Let’s get started.
Shut Down Windows 10 PC Manually
- Open the Start menu. Click on the Power icon, which is under the Gear icon.
- Now, click on the Shut down option to shut down the PC.
- Press Alt + F4 (make sure you are on the desktop) and you can see Shut Down Windows pop-up now.
- In that pop-up, the Shut down option is selected by default.
- Click on the Ok button to shut down your computer.
- Press Windows and X keys simultaneously (or right-click on the Start button) to open the Power user menu.
- Now, you can see Shut down or sign out. Hover your mouse over it, and you can see options.
- Select Shut down.
You can do this method via keyboard shortcut too, and here it is – press Windows, X, U, and U keys simultaneously.
- Press Alt + Ctrl + Delete, and then you can see the Windows Security screen.
- There you can see the Power icon at the bottom right of the screen. Click on it.
- Choose Shut down.
You can turn off Windows 10 PC by pressing the physical power button or the sleep button or by closing the laptop lid.
- Launch Run. Type slidetoshutdown and then press the Enter key.
- Now, you can see half of the lock screen. Just click on it, and your PC will get shut down.
- Launch Command Prompt.
- Type shutdown /s and then press Enter key.
You can see a pop-up which states that the action is initiated, and your computer will get shut down in the next few seconds.
You can use the above command in the below programs too:
- Run Command
- File Explorer address bar
- Address toolbar
- Windows PowerShell
- Task Manager (click on File > Run new task to use the command).
- Press Windows, and L keys simultaneously, and you can see Lock Screen. Click on it.
- Now, you can see the Sign in screen where you can see the Power icon at the bottom. Click on it.
- Hit Shut down.
When you click on the Power icon, you can see a menu, and that menu is called the Power menu.
You can see the Power menu in the Start menu, Windows Security screen, and Sign in screen.
Auto Shut Down Windows 10 PC
If you want to automatically shut down the Windows 10 computer at a specific time (for once or repeatedly), then you can do it using any of the following two methods.
Launch Run Command.
Type the following command in it: shutdown -s -t 300
The above command will turn off the computer automatically in 5 minutes (in the command, the 300 meant seconds, which is 5 minutes) from the time it is executed. Replace the 300 with the time duration you want.
Hit the Ok button to execute the command and you’ll see a confirmation pop-up.
You can also use the above command in Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, Task Manager (In Task Manager, click File > Run new task to use the command), Address toolbar, and address bar of File Explorer.
If you wish to abort shut down, use the command shutdown -a in the Run Command before the scheduled time.
Remember that the above command works only once. In other words, it cannot repeat automatically shutting down the computer at a specific time. However, the following method can.
Launch Task Scheduler.
Find and click Create Basic Task from the right side of the screen.
In the Create Basic Task Wizard pop-up, enter the name and description (which is optional) for the task. Hit Next.
Now, you can set the repeat frequency of the task. My choice is Daily, which is selected by default. Hit Next.
Here, you can set the date from which the task will start. Also, you can set the time in which you want the PC to shut down automatically. If you wish, you can change the recurring days too. I am only changing the time and leave the rest intact. Hit Next.
Now, you can see the Start a program option is selected by default. Click the Next button.
Click on the Browse button and then choose the shutdown.exe file from the System32 folder. Add /s in the Add arguments (optional) field. Click Next.
You can see the overview of the task’s settings. Review it. If you are not OK with it, hit the Back button and make the changes as per your liking. If you are OK with it, click the Finish button.
That is all. From now on, you will see this pop-up at the time you have scheduled.
As the pop-up states, your PC will get shut down in less than a minute.
After the above pop-up shows, if you wish, you can use the command shutdown -a in the Run Command Box to abort shut down.
To view the task: Click on Task Scheduler Library from the left side of the screen, and you can see the task you have created.
To edit the task: Right-click on the task and then select Properties. Now, you can edit the task as per your liking. Also, you can see many options there such as Security options, Settings, and Conditions. Play with them if you wish.
To delete the task: Right-click on the task and then select Delete. In the confirmation pop-up, click Yes.
Auto Shut Down Windows 10 Computer After Playback
- Right-click on the player. Hover your mouse over Misc > When Playback Finished.
- Make sure Action : Shut down is selected and then hit Perform the action when playback ends.
That’s it. Your PC will be turned off automatically when the playback of the current file is finished.
Note: if you want to auto shut down PC after playlist playback, then follow the above steps and instead of clicking Perform the action when playback ends, select Perform the action when playlist ends.
- Right-click on the player.
- Hover your mouse over Playback and then Repeat Mode/When Finished.
- Hit on Shutdown after Current (Once).
That’s it. Your computer will be turned off automatically after the current file playback.
Note: if you want to auto shut down PC after playlist playback, then follow the above steps and instead of clicking Shutdown after Current (Once), hit Shutdown after Album Playback (Once).
- Right-click on the player.
- Hover your mouse over Options. Hit Shutdown once finished playing the current file.
That’s all. Your PC will be shut down automatically after the playback of the current file.
Note: if you want to auto shut down computer after playlist playback, then follow the above steps and instead of selecting Shutdown once finished playing the current file, hit Shutdown once finished playing files in Playlist.
How to Create a Shortcut for Slide To Shut Down
Follow the underneath steps to create a Slide To Shut Down shortcut in the Windows 10 desktop or File Explorer.
Right-click on the desktop or File Explorer blank area. Hover your mouse over “New” in the context menu. Hit “Shortcut.”
Type slidetoshutdown in the “Create Shortcut” pop-up. Click the “Next” button. Give the shortcut name if you don’t like the suggested one. Click on the “Finish” button.