In this post, we will see the steps to restart Windows 10 computer manually and automatically. Let us begin.
Note: Restart is also known as the “Reboot.”
Restart Windows 10 PC
Open the Start menu. Click on the “Power” icon. Now, click on the “Restart” option to restart the PC.
Press Alt + F4 (make sure you are on the desktop) and you can see “Shut Down Windows” pop-up.
In that pop-up, select the “Restart” option. Click on the Ok button to restart your computer.
Press Windows and X keys together (or right-click on the Start button) to open the Power user menu.
Note: you can do this method via keyboard shortcut too, and here it is – press Windows + X + U + R key.
Press Alt, Ctrl, and Delete keys at the same time, and then you can see the Windows Security screen. There you can see the “Power” icon at the bottom right of the screen. Click on it.
Launch Command Prompt. Type shutdown /r and then press the “Enter” key.
You can see a pop-up which states that the action is initiated. And your computer will get restarted in the next few seconds.
You can use the above command in the below programs too:
- File Explorer address bar
- Task Manager (click on File > Run new task to use the command).
Press Windows key + L, and you can see the lock screen. Click on it.
Now, you can see the Sign-in screen, where you can see the “Power” icon at the bottom. Click on it. Hit “Restart.”
When you click on the “Power” icon, you can see a menu, and that menu is the Power menu.
You can see the same menu in the Start menu, Windows Security screen, and Sign-in screen.
Auto Restart Windows 10 PC
Here, we will see how to automatically restart the Windows 10 computer at a specific time (for once or repeatedly). Let us start.
Launch Run Command Box. Type: shutdown -r -t 240
The above command will restart your computer automatically in 4 minutes (in the command, the 240 meant seconds, which is 4 minutes) from the time it is executed. Replace the 240 with the time duration you want.
Hit the “Ok” button to execute the command and you will see a confirmation pop-up.
- You can use the above command in any of the following programs: Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, Task Manager (in Task Manager, click File > Run new task to use the command), address toolbar, and address bar of File Explorer.
- If you wish to abort restart, use the command shutdown -a in the Run Command Box before the scheduled time.
- Remember that the above command works only once. It cannot repeat automatically restarting your computer at a specific time. But the following method can.
- Launch Task Scheduler.
- Click “Create Basic Task” from the right side of the screen.
- In the “Create Basic Task Wizard” pop-up, enter the name and description (which is optional) for the task. Hit “Next.”
- Now, you can set the repeat frequency of the task. My choice is “Daily” which is selected by default. Hit “Next.”
- Here, you can set the date from which the task will start. Also, you can set the time in which you want the PC to restart automatically. If you wish, you can change the recurring days too. I am only changing the time and leave the rest intact. Hit “Next.”
- Now, you can see the “Start a program” option is selected by default. Click the “Next” button.
- Click on the “Browse” button and then choose the “shutdown.exe” file from the System32 folder. Add /r in the “Add arguments (optional)” field. Click “Next.”
- You can see the overview of the task’s settings. Review it. If you are not okay with it, hit the “Back” button and make the changes as per your liking. If you are okay with it, click the “Finish” button.
That is all. From now on, you will see this pop-up at the time you have scheduled.
As the pop-up states, your PC will get restarted in less than a minute.
- After the above pop-up shows, if you wish, you can use the command shutdown -a in the Run Command Box to abort restart.
- To view the task: Click on “Task Scheduler Library” from the left side of the screen. And you can see the task you have created.
- To edit the task: Right-click on the task and then select “Properties.” Now, you can edit the task as per your liking. Also, you can see many options there such as Security options, Settings, and Conditions. Play with them if you wish.
- To delete the task: Right-click on the task and then hit “Delete.” In the confirmation pop-up, click “Yes.”