Remap Capacitive Buttons on Android [Rooted Device Only]
In this instance, we will see the steps to remap the back button and the menu button.
- Open ES File Explorer.
- Navigate to /system/usr/keylayout.
- Backup the file generic.kl. After backup, open the generic.kl.
- Open it as text using ES Note Editor.
- Click on “Pencil” icon at the top to edit the file.
Generally, the back and menu button look like this
Key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
Key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
Now, remap the buttons by just replacing the key values like this
Key 139 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
Key 158 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
Save the file. Reboot your phone.
Please note that this method only remaps capacitive buttons, not soft keys. You can use the same above method for the home button (Key 172 HOME) too.
Change Actions of Capacitive Buttons [Rooted Device Only]
It is important to note that changing actions will reflect on both capacitive buttons and onscreen buttons. Let’s check it out the steps to change actions.
- Open Xposed framework and navigate to the “Download” section.
- Search and install the GravityBox module for your Android version.
- After installation, activate the module and reboot your phone.
- Open the GravityBox module.
- Navigate to the “Navigation keys actions” option.
- You can see the 4 options
Choose the single tap, double tap and long press actions of the buttons as per your need. There are a lot of options available for you to play with. If you wish, you can also set the custom action for the buttons.
That’s it. You’ve successfully changed the actions (functions) of the Android capacitive buttons.