In this post, you will see:
In this case I use Windows 10. Let’s start.
Disable Quick Access
You can disable Quick access feature if you don’t like it, and here’s how:
Start File Explorer options. Select This PC from the top drop-down list. Press OK at the bottom.
The next thing to do is remove the Quick access icon from the File Explorer Navigation pane. You will find the steps in the following section.
Read: How to Auto-Hide Taskbar
Remove Quick Access Icon
You can see the Quick access icon in the File Explorer Navigation pane. Windows 10 has no way to remove this icon.
But you can remove it if you like, and here’s how:
Click on the Start button and it’ll open the Start menu.
Type regedit and then click on Registry Editor.
Now you can see the Registry Editor, and it is always good to back up the Registry first before changing it.
Go to Hkey_Local_Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer.
Right-click on the empty area in the right pane and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
Enter the name as HubMode and press the “Enter” key. Double-click “HubMode,” and in the pop-up, provide 1 in the “Value data” field and then press the OK button.
Launch Windows 10 File Explorer. and you can see it without the Quick access icon, along with the pinned and frequently used folders.
Note: If you want the Windows 10 Quick access icon back, delete the Dword created above or change the value of the Dword to 0.
Read: How to Reset WordPad
Remove Pin to Quick Access from Context Menu
To remove the Pin to Quick access option, which you will find in the context menu under the Open in new window option, follow the steps below:
Open Run. Type regedit and then press the Enter key.
You can see the Registry Editor on your Windows 10 PC.
Go to Hkey_Classes_Root > Folder > shell > pintohome.
Make a backup of the latter key or the entire Registry before proceeding. Right-click on the pintohome key and then click on the “Delete” option.
Click the Yes button on the pop-up. That’s all. You can now see the changes in the context menu.
Note: If you want to get the option back, restore the backup that I suggested in the steps above.
Remove Recently Used Files and Frequently Used Folders from Quick Access
Here you can see the steps to remove recently used files and frequently used folders from Quick access.
By default, recently used files and frequently used folders are displayed in Quick access in Windows 10. If you want to remove those from Quick access, here are the steps:
Open File Explorer Options.
In the Privacy section, you will see the following two options:
- Show recently used files in Quick access – uncheck this option if you want to remove recently used files from Quick access.
- Show frequently used folders in Quick access – uncheck this option if you want to remove frequently used folders from Quick access.
After you have disabled both or each to your liking, click the “OK” button at the bottom.
Note: Remember that the pinned folders will be displayed in Quick access even if you have deactivated the option “Show frequently used folders in Quick access.”
Pin an Item to Quick Access
You can pin the following in Quick access:
- This PC
- Control Panel items (Note that not everyone has the option to pin. Also, remember that you must be in the “Large Icons” or “Small Icons” view to pin)
Here’s how you can do this:
Right-click on the item you want to pin to Quick access.
Select the “Pin to quick access” option from the context menu.
- To unpin, right-click the item you want to unpin and select “Unpin from Quick access” in the context menu.
- Remember that you can pin several things at the same time. The steps are the same as above.
- When I try to pin Control Panel items to Quick access, I cannot pin anything other than Administrative Tools.
- You can see the pinned items in the Quick access section “Frequent folders.”
- You can only see pinned items if you remove frequently used folders in Quick access.
Here are some other ways to pin:
Drag and drop the item you want to pin to the “Quick access” icon.
Go to the item you want to pin and then right-click on the “Quick access” icon.
In the context menu, you will see the option “Pin current folder to Quick access,” which you will find between “Collapse” and “Options.” Hit it.
How to Add Items to the Quick Access Toolbar
You can see the Quick access toolbar at the top left of the File Explorer window.
To add an item to it, proceed as follows:
Click the Down arrow that you can see in the upper left corner of the File Explorer window.
Now select the item you want to add to the toolbar.
If you want to remove an item from the toolbar, follow the steps above, but remove the selection.
If you press the above-mentioned Down arrow, you can also see these options:
- Show below the Ribbon – this shows the Quick access toolbar below the ribbon. If the toolbar is below the ribbon, you can see Show above the Ribbon in the place of this option, which you can use to display the toolbar above the ribbon.
- Minimize the Ribbon – select this option to minimize the ribbon. To reverse this, unselect the option.