Let’s see the steps to change media visibility for single and all chats on WhatsApp for Android. Here, I use Google Pixel 4a (Android 12).
How to Change Default Media Visibility in WhatsApp
Open WhatsApp and tap the three vertical dots on the top right.
Select Settings > Chats.
In the Chat settings section, you can view Media visibility between “Enter is send” and “Font size.”
Turn that on (to enable it) or off (to disable it) as per your preference.
How to Change Media Visibility for Single WhatsApp Chat
Open the conversation (contact or group) and tap its name at the top.
Select “Media visibility” between “Custom notifications” and “Disappearing messages.”
You can see these options in the popup:
- Default (Yes or No) – This applies WhatsApp media visibility state (which you’ll see below) to the chat. The Yes or No you see in the parenthesis is the current state of that setting.
- Yes – Turn on media visibility for this WhatsApp chat.
- No – Turn off media visibility for this WhatsApp chat.
Select the one you like and tap OK.
- WhatsApp media visibility is turned on by default, causing downloaded media to appear in the gallery.
- If you only want to hide WhatsApp images in the gallery, try these steps: Open the File Explorer app on your Android device. Find and open the WhatsApp folder, then Media > WhatsApp Images. Create a .nomedia file.
Thanks for reading.