You can mark a contact or group chat as read or unread on WhatsApp.
I use Windows 11 PC, iPhone (iOS 15.1), and Pixel 4a (Android 12). Let’s start.
How to Mark WhatsApp Chat as Unread or Read (Android)
Here are the steps:
- Launch the WhatsApp app and select the chat(s) you want to mark as read or unread.
- Tap the three vertical dots at the top right.
- You’ll see “Mark as unread” (if the selected chat(s) has no unread message). Or “Mark as read” (if the chosen conversation(s) has any unread messages or is marked as unread already). Tap on it.
Alternate Way to Mark as Read
You’ll see a notification when you receive a WhatsApp message. Tap the “Mark as read” option in that.
How to Mark WhatsApp Chat as Read or Unread (iPhone)
- Open WhatsApp and tap “Chats” at the bottom if you’re not in it.
- Slide the chat you want to mark as read or unread to the right side completely.
- Note that the conversation will be marked as read if it has any unread messages or is marked as unread already. Otherwise, WhatsApp will mark the chat as unread.
Slide the chat you want to mark as read or unread to the right.
You can now view “Unread” (if that chat has no unread message) or “Read” (if that conversation has any unread message or is marked as unread already). Tap on it.
Long press the chat you like.
You can view “Mark as Unread” if that chat has no unread messages. Or “Mark as Read” if that conversation has unread messages or is marked as unread already. Tap on it.
How to Mark Chats as Read or Unread on WhatsApp Web
On the left sidebar, hover your mouse over the chat you prefer and hit the down arrow. Or right-click on the conversation you like.
Under the “Pin chat,” you can view “Mark as read” or “Mark as unread.” Select it, and that’s all.
Here’s an alternate method: Open the chat you’d like to mark as read or unread. Press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Shift + U.
What is Mark as Read in WhatsApp?
The “Mark as read” option marks all messages in the chat as read. You can use it to mark a message as read without opening the WhatsApp app (applies for Android only) or chat.
Remember that once you mark a message as read, the sender will see “blue ticks” on their side.
What is Mark as Unread in WhatsApp?
You can use the “mark as unread” option if you wish to go back to the chat later.
When you mark a WhatsApp chat as unread, you’ll see a blank circle in that chat, which is a reminder. Remember that this one has nothing to do with “blue ticks.”
Let’s see the steps to do this task on Android, iPhone, and WhatsApp Web.
Thanks for reading.