I’m recommending our readers to take a Nandroid backup before making major changes to their Android devices.
In this post, we will see what is a Nandroid backup and the steps to make it using CWM. Let's get started.
What is Nandroid Backup?
Let's say, you want to flash custom ROM for your Android device. But after flashing the ROM, there is a possibility that the ROM is not up to your expectations.
In this case, you can use the Nandroid backup to switch back your device to its previous ROM.
In a nutshell, Nandroid backup is the backup of the current ROM (includes all apps, settings, and everything). This backup can be taken by using custom recoveries like CWM or TWRP.
Requirements to take Nandroid Backup
- Rooted Android device
- Sufficient charge on your phone
- Custom recovery installation
Make a Nandroid Backup
- Boot your phone in the recovery mode.
- Once the device booted in recovery mode, you can see the recovery menu (CWM) options.
- In the custom recovery menu, choose the option “backup and restore”.
- Choose the option “backup”.
- The Nandroid backup process should begin. It takes some time depending upon the size of the ROM.
- When the backup complete, you are redirected to the custom recovery home screen.
- Click on "reboot system now" option to reboot your Android phone.
That’s it. Now, you’ve successfully created the Nandroid backup for your Android. Generally, the CWM Nandroid backup folder location is clockworkmod/backup.
If there is a problem on your Android device, then you can use this Nandroid backup to restore your Android phone. The backup may take space in GB.
So I recommend you to keep the backup on the PC or Cloud and transfer it to the Android when needed.
Restore Nandroid Backup
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- In the recovery menu, choose the "backup and restore".
- Select the restore option.
- Select the Nandroid backup which you want to restore.
- Choose yes for the confirmation.
I hope that the information in this post is useful to you. If you find the information in this post useful, share this post with your friends.
How to Make a Nandroid Backup with CWM