Android is popular for its options to customize. If you have a rooted android device, you can customize it as per your need. We all know that the custom ROM offers many new features to our android phones than in stock ROM.
But, if you like the stock ROM and want to alter its existing features or want to add new features, then you need to install xposed installer on your android device.
Not only xposed made wonders in stock ROM, we can also use it to customize custom ROM to its extent. Let’s check it out all the details about xposed framework and the steps to install xposed framework on any android phones.
What is the Xposed Framework?
Xposed is a framework for modules. It offers a lot of modules which helps us to customize or tweak apps and settings of the ROM.
It not only gives visual enhancements, but it also helps in increasing the performance of the android. In a nutshell, it changes the behavior of the system and apps.
Advantages of Xposed Framework
- Sometimes, we only like a few features of the custom ROM. But, for those features, we need to flash the new ROM. Here, in this situation, the xposed comes in handy. You can install the features (if available) from the xposed installer in your stock ROM. As said earlier, it helps you to use your stock ROM with all the customization you want.
- Making customization via xposed modules is a simple task and it will not be a time consuming one.
Steps to Install Xposed Framework
Here, we discussed the steps to install xposed framework on
- Android 4.0.3 and later
- Android 5.0 and later
So head over to the steps as per your Android version. Let’s get started.
Steps to Install Xposed Framework on Android 4.0.3 and Later
- Rooted android device (with above 4.0.3 version or later)
If you have the above requirement, then we are good to go. Before installingxposed framework, I highly recommend you to take a nandroid backup.
- Download the Xposed installer and install it.
- Open it and navigate to framework section.
- Tap install/update button.
- After the installation complete, tap OK for the confirmation message to reboot your android phone.
That’s it. The xposed framework is successfully installed on your android phone.
Steps to Install Xposed Framework on Android 5.0 and Later
In android 5.0, the Dalvik cache got replaced by the ART (android runtime). So, the installation procedure is slightly different and installing xposed in android 5.0 and later involves more steps when compared with the steps to install it on android 4.0 and later. Let’s get started.
- Rooted android device
- Custom recovery (i.e. Make sure your device has custom recovery installed)
You need to download 2 files for installation. One is zip file for your CPU architecture and another is an apk file.
Now, head over to this page and grab the right version of the zip file for your device and apk file.
You can see that the zip file is available for different CPU architectures. So downloading mobileuncle tools will provide the information about your CPU architectures with other related information’s.
I recommend you to check the CPU architecture once before downloading. Also, make sure you read all the descriptions in the page before downloading it.
Please continue the following steps at your own risk.
I highly recommend you to take a nandroid backup of course before installing xposed. I assume that you’ve downloaded files to your device.
- Now, reboot your device into recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode, flash the zip file (if you are in CWM recovery, press the install zip from SD card and choose the zip file).
- Now, reboot your device.
- Go to the location where you stored the xposed installer apk file.
- Install it and reboot your device.
That’s it. The xposed is successfully installed in your android phone.
So what’s next? The next step is to install modules on xposed framework.
Steps to Install Modules on Xposed Framework
Xposed contains a lot of modules. Modules are basically .apk files and you can download it from modules repository or from anywhere. However, I personally prefer to install modules from the xposed framework itself. Let’s check it out the steps to install modules from the framework itself.
- Open xposed framework and navigate to the download section.
- Now, search for the module.
- Once you find the module you want, tap it.
- Read the description of the module. If it supports your device, proceed to install it like you did for normal apps.
- After you installed the module, you need to activate it under the modules section (navigate to modules section and check the module).
- Reboot the phone.
That’s it. Your modules should be activated and you can use it to customize your android.
The modules section contains a list of modules that you’ve installedin your android device. Here, you can activate or deactivate the modules.
- To activate the module, check it.
- To deactivate the module, uncheck it.
- To uninstall modules, long press the module and select the uninstall option.
There are lots of modules available. In those modules, some offer single functionality and some offers multiple functionalities. I recommend you to give a try to the gravitybox which offers much functionality.
Here are some articles which you can check it out where we’ve used xposed framework and gravity box.
- How to remap and change actions of capacitive buttons
- Remove emergency call button from lock screen
- How to create a floating window on android
I hope that the information in this post is useful to you. If you find the information in this post useful, share this post with your friends.