WordPress needs no introduction. We all know that the WordPress plugins boost every blog created with WordPress. It should be useful for every blogger to know the different methods of installing WordPress plugins and in this post, we will see all the different methods.
Generally, there are 3 methods to install WordPress plugins.
- Search and Install WordPress Plugin
- Upload and Install WordPress Plugin
You can use any method as per your wish. Let’s get started.
3 Different Methods to Install WordPress Plugins
Search and Install WordPress Plugin
This is the easy method to install WordPress plugin. In this method, you can search and install plugins within the WordPress. But, you can install plugins only from WordPress Plugin Directory.
- First, log into WordPress dashboard.
- Select “Plugins” option and click on “Add new” option. Alternatively, click on “Installed Plugins” and select “Add new” in the top of plugins page.
- Now, you’ll come to “Add Plugins” screen where you can search and install WordPress plugins.
- In the search field, enter the name of the plugin you want.
- In search results, you can see all WordPress plugins related to your search term.
- If a plugin is not installed in your WordPress, you can see “Install Now” option.
- If a plugin you are searching is already installed, then you can see an installed notification near the plugin (see screenshot).
- It is always important to read the documentation of every plugin before installing. After you read the documentation, click on “Install Now” button.
- You can see the plugin in the installed plugins section. Click on plugin settings to configure.
Upload and Install WordPress Plugin
The second method is usually preferred when you downloaded the plugin from any other source.
In this method, we are going to upload the plugin first and then we install it from there.
- Select plugins > Add new.
- Click on upload plugin option.
- Browse for a file that you want to upload. The WordPress only supports zip format to upload. So, it is important to make sure that the file you want to upload is in zip format.
- Click on “Install Now” to install WordPress plugins.
Install Plugins using FTP
You can use any FTP software for this FTP method. In this instance, I’m using the FileZilla software.
- First download plugin that you want to install. Unzip the plugin. You can use software like 7-Zip for unzipping.
- Upload the Plugin to WordPress plugins folder. Generally, WordPress plugins upload folder is located under wp-content/plugins. In FileZilla client, drag and drop selected file or click upload to upload the file to plugins directory (wp-content/plugins).
- After you’ve successfully uploaded plugin, go to your installed plugins section in WordPress. You’ll see the plugin that you’ve just uploaded.
Install Plugins using cPanel
You can also upload plugins to WordPress from cPanel. Follow the below steps to install WordPress Plugins using cPanel.
- Go to cPanel > file manager.
- Go to public_html. Open wp-content directory > plugins folder.
- Click upload button and upload the zip file of a plugin. You can see zip file of the plugin in the plugins directory.
- Select zip file. Click on “Extract” option.
- After extract is complete, Delete zip file of the plugin.
- Go to WordPress Installed plugins list. You can see the plugin that you’ve just uploaded.