WordPress needs no introduction. We all know that the WordPress plugins boost every blog created with WordPress.
It should be useful for every blogger to know the different methods of installing WordPress plugins. In this post, we will see all the different methods.
Generally, there are 3 methods to install WordPress plugins.
- Search and Install WordPress Plugin
- Upload and Install WordPress Plugin
You can use any method as per your wish. Let’s get started.
Install WordPress Plugins
Search and Install WordPress Plugin
This is the easy method to install WordPress plugin.
In this method, you can search and install plugins within the WordPress. But, you can install plugins only from WordPress Plugin Directory.
- First, log into WordPress dashboard.
- Select "Plugins" option and click on "Add new". Alternatively, click on "Installed Plugins" and select "Add new" at the top of plugins page.
- Now, you are in the "Add Plugins" screen where you can search and install WordPress plugins.
- In the search field, enter the name of the plugin you want.
- In search results, you can see all WordPress plugins related to your search term.
- If a plugin is not installed in your WordPress, you can see "Install Now" option.
- If a plugin you are searching is already installed, then you can see an "Active" notification besides the plugin name (see screenshot).
- It is always important to read the documentation of every plugin before installing. After you read the documentation, click on "Install Now" button.
- Click on "Activate" button to activate it.
- Now you can see the plugin in the "Installed Plugins" section. Click on plugin settings to configure.
Upload and Install WordPress Plugin
The second method is usually preferred when you downloaded the plugin from any other source.
In this method, we are going to upload the plugin first and then we install it from there.
- Select plugins > Add new.
- Click on Upload Plugin button.
- Browse for the plugin file that you want to upload. The WordPress only supports zip format to upload. So, it is important to make sure that the file you want to upload is in the zip format.
- Click on "Install Now" to install WordPress plugins.
- Click on "Activate Plugin" button to activate it.
Install Plugins using FTP
You can use any FTP software for this FTP method. In this instance, I’m using the FileZilla software.
- First download plugin that you want to install. Unzip the plugin. You can use software like 7-Zip for unzipping.
- Upload the Plugin to WordPress plugins folder. Generally, WordPress plugins upload folder is located under wp-content/plugins. In FileZilla client, drag and drop selected file or click upload to upload the file to plugins directory (wp-content/plugins).
- After you’ve successfully uploaded plugin, go to "Installed Plugins" section in WordPress. You can see the plugin that you’ve just uploaded.
Install Plugins using cPanel
You can also upload plugins to WordPress from cPanel. Follow the below steps to install WordPress Plugins using cPanel.
- Go to cPanel > File Manager.
- Go to public_html. Open wp-content directory > plugins folder.
- Click on "Upload" and upload the zip file of a plugin. You can see zip file of the plugin in the plugins directory.
- Select zip file. Click on "Extract" option. After extract is complete, Delete zip file of the plugin.
- Go to WordPress Installed plugins list. You can see the plugin that you’ve just uploaded. Click on Activate link to activate that plugin.
I hope this post is useful to you. If you find the information in this post useful, share this post with your friends.
How to Install WordPress Plugins