Whenever you are receiving images and videos on WhatsApp, it will be shown in the gallery of your device.
If you don’t want that be shown on your device’s gallery, then you need to hide it.
Hide WhatsApp Images and Videos from Gallery
The best thing here is that you don’t need any apps. Let's see two different ways to do this task.
This method is simple and it can be done in a minute. I suggest you to go with this method.
- Go to WhatsApp folder > Media.
- Select "WhatsApp Images" folder and choose the "Rename" option from the menu.
- Just add “.” before the folder name.
That’s all. The WhatsApp Images are hidden from the gallery. You need to do the same steps to the "WhatsApp Video" folder to make it hidden.
You have to enable "Show hidden files" option in your file manager to see these hidden folders.
I suggest you to read this post if you need to know about .nomedia file. You can create .nomedia file and place it in the WhatsApp Images and WhatsApp Video folder to hide all the contents of those folders from the gallery.
- Enable the "Show hidden files" option in your file manager.
- Go to WhatsApp folder on your device.
- Navigate to Media > WhatsApp Images.
- Now tap on the "Sent" folder and you can see the .nomedia file there.
- Just copy and paste it in the WhatsApp Images folder. I’m doing copy and paste to save the time. If you prefer, you can create a new one and paste it on the WhatsApp Images folder.
Now go to the gallery and you can see that the WhatsApp Images folder is hidden.
You need to do the same above steps in the WhatsApp Video folder to make that folder contents hidden.
To Unhide WhatsApp Images and Videos from Gallery
In case, if you want to see the images and videos back in the gallery, then you need to remove the dot before the folder names.
That’s all; All comes back to normal.
Go to WhatsApp Images and Whatsapp Video folder and then delete the .nomedia file.
The unhiding process of this method doesn't show the folders back in the gallery. That's why I'm suggesting you to use the dot method.
But, don't worry; I have a solution for this issue.
If you don’t see those folders back in the gallery, just add dot (.) before both the WhatsApp Images and WhatsApp video folder name. Then, remove the dot from both the folder name.
Now you should see those folders back in the gallery.
Hide Specific WhatsApp Images and Videos from Gallery
When you use the above methods, it will be applied to the entire folder and all the items in the folder will be hidden.
But in case, if you want to hide only specific images and videos of WhatsApp, then you need to follow these steps:
Hide Specific WhatsApp Images from Gallery
- Install this app. This is the same app we are using to hide specific videos.
- Now you can see the “Audio Manager” app in the app drawer. The app shows itself as the "Audio Manager" to prevent other peoples from knowing that you are using an app for hiding purpose.
- Open the app and long press the Audio Manager logo.
- Go through the configuration part.
- Once done, you can see the Vault.
- Tap Pictures and + icon at the top.
- Provide the name for the folder as per your wish.
- Open the folder and tap +. Choose Gallery option.
- Tap down arrow at the top and select WhatsApp Images option.
- Now select the files which you want to hide from "WhatsApp Images" folder.
- Once you have done your selection, click on "Hide selected files" button at the bottom.
- A popup will appear. It will show the folder in which the files are currently stored. By default, the folder is selected. So, just tap Ok for that.
That’s it. Now you can see the images you’ve hidden in the Vault Pictures and the images are hidden from the gallery.
Hide Specific WhatsApp Videos from Gallery
- Go to Vault and Tap Videos.
- Tap + icon at the top and provide a name for the folder.
- Open that folder and tap + icon.
- Choose the Gallery; Tap down arrow at the top and select "WhatsApp Video".
- Select the WhatsApp videos that you want to hide.
- After done selection, tap "Hide selected files" button.
- A folder selection popup appears. Tap OK for that;
Now you can see the hidden WhatsApp videos in the Vault Videos and the videos are hidden from the gallery.
If you find thumbnails or blank thumbnails of the hidden videos on the Gallery, then just restart the mobile and it will be gone.
Unhide Specific WhatsApp Images or WhatsApp Videos
In this instance, I’m unhiding videos. You can do the same steps to unhide images.
- Just go to the Vault and navigate to the folder where you saved video files.
- Now long press the video files that you want to unhide.
- Tap "Unhide" at the bottom.
- A popup with the restore location appears. If you prefer, tap the folder icon to change the location as per your wish.
- Tap "Unhide" in the popup.
That’s all. Now you can see the unhidden files in the gallery. If you don’t see it, then just reboot the device to see it.
You can use any method as per your choice and hide the ones you want from gallery.
I hope that the information in this post is useful to you. If you find the information in this post useful, share this post with your friends.