Gmail canned response (also known as Gmail email template) is one of the Gmail Labs features. By using this feature, you can send a predefined template to others.
For instance, let's say, you've multiple advertising options on your website. Advertisers are contacting you to know the currently available advertising options on your website.
If many advertisers are contacting you for the same information, you need to type the same information again and again and send it to them. This will consume much time and effort.
Here, you can use canned response. This will save your time and increase your productivity.
Create a predefined template for advertisers and when they contact you, quickly insert it into the body of the email and send it to them. Alternatively, you can automate this task with the help of filters.
For this post, I’m creating a simple Gmail template which can be sent to the advertisers. Please use the same procedure and customize it as per your need. To use Gmail template, we need to enable the Gmail template first.
Steps to Enable Canned Response
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Click on Gear icon.
- Choose Settings.
- Navigate to the "Labs" section (Click the link to directly go to Labs).
- Enable the "Canned Responses".
- Click on "Save Changes" button.
Steps to Create Gmail Canned Response
- Compose an email which you want to send to the advertisers.
- Once you created the email, click on the inverted triangle option at the bottom [besides discard draft option].
- Select “Canned responses” and “New canned response” option.
- Provide the name for the email template.
- Press "OK" button.
That’s it. The canned response is created successfully.
Steps to Use Gmail Canned Response
Now, we have 2 different methods to use this Gmail email template.
From now on, whenever you receive an email from the advertiser, you can insert the template quickly in the body of the email and send it to them by following these steps.
- Click on the compose button.
- Click on the inverted triangle at the compose mail screen.
- Select canned response > advertiser reply [your canned response name].
You can see that the email is filled up with the predefined email template. Do any improvements if needed and send it to the advertiser.
This method will automatically send the predefined template to the sender. We are going to create filters to achieve this task. But, there are 2 disadvantages in this method.
When you send auto response using this method, the recipient will see the email address like the one below when they hover the mouse over your name
Which simply says it is an automated reply.
The automated reply will be sent only when the email you received contains the particular word (that you mentioned in the filter).
So, I recommend you to go with the method 1. But, if you are OK with these disadvantages of method 2, you can go ahead with it.
- First, we need to create a filter. Click on the inverted triangle in the search bar of the Gmail.
- In the “has the word” field, type the words which will you think typed by the advertiser regarding the advertising query.
- In my case, here are the words, I expect the advertiser will write in the email
- In this case, the automated reply will only send to the advertiser, if his email contains the above 3 words.
- Now, click on the "Create filter with this search link" at the bottom.
- Select your canned response and enable the canned response option.
- Click on "Create filter" button.
advertising, blog, currently
That’s it. From now on, whenever you receive an email with the above words, the canned response will be automatically sent to the sender of the email.
Note: Please customize the filter as per your need.
I hope that the information in this post is useful to you. If you find the information in this post useful, share this post with your friends.
How to Create and Use Gmail Canned Response