A blog is a platform to share knowledge and earn money.
There are many blogging platforms out there and Blogger is one of the best. If you are a complete beginner, then you can start your blog on Blogger.
- It's easy to use.
- It's completely free.
Many bloggers (including myself) have started their blogging journey on Blogger. After getting some experience, they switched to WordPress (self-hosted) which has more options such as Plugins.
If you are interested in starting your blogging journey without investing money, then BlogSpot is a good choice.
In this post, we will see the steps to create a free blog on Blogger. Let's get started.
Blogger is a free blogging platform which is offered by Google. There is a single requirement needed for getting started with Blogger. And, that is Gmail account.
If you already have a Gmail account, go to the Blogger.com and sign in with your Gmail account. If you don’t have a Gmail account, create one and then sign in for Blogger.
Choose the profile you want. I suggest
Blogger dashboard displays your list of blogs along with the following options
- New blog button – Used to create a new blog.
- Your blogs – Displays the total number of blogs you’ve created [including your deleted blogs].
- Published blogs – Your current running blogs.
- Deleted blogs – The blog you've deleted.
Besides each blog name, you can see the following three options
- Create new post – Used to create a new post.
- Go to post list – It lists the posts that are available on the blog. When you click on the inverted triangle beside "Go to post list" option, you can see many options [which are discussed later in this post].
- View blog – To view your blog.
At the top left corner, you can see a "Gear" icon which has 4 options. Among those options, only 1 option can be used for your blog.
- Edit user settings - Used to choose your user profile.
Create a Free Blog on Blogger
- On Blogger dashboard, click on “New Blog” button.
- Provide the name and address (URL) for your blog.
Now, this is important:
When you give a name to the blog, don’t just start with your name. If it is a personal blog about you, then giving your name is good.
But if you are going to write about the Android, then giving your name as blog name is not relevant. Right?
In a nutshell, give a name to the blog which is relevant to your blog content.
In the URL field, give the URL. If the URL is available, then you can get it. Else, the blogger will notify you that the URL is unavailable and you need to provide another one.
- Select the template for your blog [you can change the template at any time].
- Click on the “Create blog!” button.
Congratulations. You’ve successfully created your first blog on Blogger.
In a single Blogger account, you can create up to 100 blogs.
Now, you can see the "menu bar" on the left side of the screen. Let's check it out all the menu bar options in detail.
- This is the default screen when you open your blog. Here, you can see updates section and page views.
- By default, it opens all section which displays all your posts [including draft ones]. At the top, you can see the options label new post [which will be discussed later], publish, revert to draft [the published post will be back to draft] and delete option.
- Besides every post name, you can see the label [if any], author name, comment count of that post and page view of that post.
- It displays all pages of your blog. It has the options such as new page, publish, revert to draft [the published page will be back to draft] and delete option.
- You can view, remove content and delete the comments from here.
- You can see all the data regarding your blog traffic.
- Google AdSense is one of the best ways to earn money via the blog. You can monetize your blog with AdSense from here.
- It is the place where you can get started with AdWords campaigns.
- You can edit, arrange, add or remove widgets of the Blogger.
- You can customize the template or you can install a Blogger template from here.
- You can use these options to edit the settings of your blog.
I hope now you have got the clear understanding about the options available on your Blogger blog.
What’s next? The next step is creating your first blog post.
Create First Blog Post on Blogger
- In your blog, click on "New Post" button on the left side of the screen.
- Now, you can write your first post on Blogger.
Besides the post title, you can see four buttons.
- Preview button – Used to preview the post.
- Save button – Save changes of the post.
- Publish button - Publishes the blog post.
- Close button - Saves the post as a draft if there any content. Otherwise, it just redirects you to "all posts".
Labels – Label is used to group the posts. In simple words, it is similar to the category.
Schedule – This option is used to schedule your posts.
- To do this, click on "Schedule" and choose "Set date and time".
- Select the date and time you prefer.
- Click on "publish" button.
That's it, your post will be published at the date and time chosen by you.
To change time zone, go to "Language and formatting" option under Settings.
- The permalink is automatically generated by the Blogger according to your blog post title. You also have the option to create a custom permalink.
- To create a custom permalink for your blog post, click on "Permalink" and choose the "Custom Permalink". Give the desired URL and click on "Done".
- By default, Blogger doesn’t allow you to change the URL of the published post. But, if you want to change it after published, then follow this guide.
Location – Allows you to enter your position.
Search description – It is the SERP snippet. It is the description that is showing below your post title in SERP [This option is available when you enable the meta tags under Search Preferences].
- Under options, you can see reader comments [here, you can allow or disallow comments], compose mode and line breaks.
I assume you’ve set all the settings for your post. If you are happy with the settings and content of the blog post, click on "Publish" button.
That’s it. You’ve successfully created your first blog post. Whenever you are editing your published post, click on "Update" button to update it.
Yet there are many things you need to be done on Blogger which you can find out on this Blogger guide.
I hope this post is useful to you. If you’ve any questions, feel free to ask me in the comments section below.
If you find the information in this post useful, please share this post with your friends.