WhatsApp has the option to backup and restore chats to the Google Drive. You can restore all your WhatsApp chats easily from the Google Drive if your phone is damaged or lost.
Whatsapp cloud backup will ensure that you won’t lose your data. Also, you can also easily transfer your chats to another phone. But before doing WhatsApp Google Drive backup, you have to make sure that
- A Google account is activated on your phone.
- Google play services is installed on your phone.
- Enough space for the WhatsApp backup on the Google Drive.
The above are the minimum requirements specified by the WhatsApp. If you have the above requirements, you are ready to do WhatsApp backup to the cloud.
Steps to Backup WhatsApp Chats to Google Drive
- Install and open the latest WhatsApp version.
- Now, WhatsApp will prompt you to configure Google Drive backup settings (It’ll not show the “back up over” option here and the default setting for this option is WiFi).
- You can configure it here or you can configure it by going to Settings > Chats > Chat backup. There you can see all the backup options under the Google Drive settings.
- In Back up to Google Drive option, you can choose the backup frequency.
- If you want to backup WhatsApp text messages and media automatically to Google Drive, then you can choose Daily, Weekly, Monthly as per your need.
- If you want to backup manually, choose “Only when I tap Back up“. To take a manual backup, click the “BACK UP” button. The backup will be created on the Google Drive and on the internal storage as well.
- If you want to disable this feature, choose “Never”.
- Account – Choose the Google account you want to use.
- Backup Over – Select the network in which your backup should be taken.
- Include videos – Enable this option if you want to backup videos to Google Drive.
The WhatsApp backup won’t be displayed in your Google Drive as a folder. However, you can see them as hidden app data by going to Settings > Manage apps on Google Drive and you can’t access them manually.
Steps to Delete Whatsapp Chats Backup on Google Drive
- To delete the backup on the Google Drive, Go to Settings > Manage apps.
- Click on “options” in the WhatsApp backup [See screenshot].
- Click on “Delete hidden app data” and your WhatsApp backup should be deleted from Google Drive.