WhatsApp has the option to backup chats to Google Drive. But before doing WhatsApp Google Drive backup, you have to make sure the following:
- A Google account should be activated on your phone.
- Google Play Services should be installed on your phone.
- Enough space to store WhatsApp backup on the Google Drive.
All the above are the minimum requirements specified by the WhatsApp. If you have all those, then you are good to go.
So, you are ready to backup chats to drive and here are the advantages you'll get by doing so:
- You can restore all your WhatsApp chats easily from the Google Drive if your phone is damaged or lost.
- You can also easily transfer your chats to another phone.
Let's dive into the steps to do this.
Steps to Backup WhatsApp Chats to Google Drive
- Open WhatsApp.
- If you are in the installation process, then WhatsApp will prompt you to configure Google Drive backup settings (It’ll not show the "back up over" option here and the default setting for this option is WiFi). You can configure it here.
- Alternatively, you can configure it by going to Settings > Chats > Chat backup. There you can see all the backup options under the Google Drive settings.
- In Back up to Google Drive option, you can choose the backup frequency as per your need.
- If you want to backup WhatsApp text messages and media automatically to Google Drive, then you can choose Daily, Weekly or Monthly as per your need.
- If you want to backup manually, choose "Only when I tap Back up". To take a manual backup, click the "BACK UP" button. The backup will be created on the Google Drive and on the internal storage as well.
- If you want to disable this feature, choose "Never".
- Account – Choose the Google account you want to use.
- Back up over - Select the network in which your backup should be taken.
- Include videos - Enable this option if you want to backup videos to Google Drive.
That's all. The backup will be stored to drive as per your set up.
Steps to Delete Whatsapp Chats Backup on Google Drive
The WhatsApp backup won't be displayed in your Google Drive as a folder.
However, you can see them as "hidden app data" by going to Settings > Manage apps on Google Drive. Remember, you can’t access them manually.
If you want to delete WhatsApp backup from Google Drive, then here are the steps:
- In Google Drive, Go to Settings > Manage apps.
- Click on "Options" besides the WhatsApp backup [See screenshot].
- Click on "Delete hidden app data" and your WhatsApp backup should be deleted from Google Drive.