The text messages backup will always ensure that you’ll never lose your text messages. You can use these backups to recover text messages at any time.
An android app called SMS Backup & Restore helps us to backup and restore text messages on Gmail. Let’s check it out the steps to backup and restore text messages.
Steps to Backup Text Messages to Gmail
I assume that you’ve installed both the SMS backup & restore app and its add-on app. Let’s get started.
- Now, open the app. Click on the overflow menu.
- Go to preferences > backup settings.
- Enable the Automatically Email Backup option. Now, you are in the email setup screen. In this instance, I’m choosing a Gmail account. Select the email service type as Gmail.
- Click on the login button and choose your desired account. Grant permissions to the app to access the Gmail. Now, you should be successfully logged in.
- Type the recipient email address to whom you want to send the text messages backup. If you want to email it to yourself, you should provide your email address in the recipient email address field.
- Give the subject. In this instance, I provide the “SMS backup” as the subject.
- In the body field, type the message that you want. I provide the “SMS backup from android” as body content.
- Click on the only upload on WiFi option if you want to email the backup to Gmail only when you are connected to the WiFi.
- Click on test button to check the configurations. It’ll send a test email to the recipient address.
- If the settings are working properly, click on the save button.
That’s it. You’ve configured the backup setting. Now, we are going to backup text messages to Gmail.
Now, click on the backup button. You can see this screen(see screenshot).
- Choose the backup contents as per you wish such as MMS messages.
- If you want to backup selective conversations, click on the selected conversations only option. In this instance, I’ve selected all conversations option.
- You can see that the upload to email option is selected by default. So, when you click the OK button, it’ll send an SMS backup to Gmail and also creates a backup in your internal storage.
- Login to your Gmail and check your emails.
- Now, you can see the backup of the text messages in the XML format.
If you want to schedule backup, follow the below steps
- Go to preferences > Scheduled backups. Turn on the scheduled backups.
- Choose the starting time at which the scheduled backup should be started.
- Choose the number of hours, minutes or days you want this scheduled backup to repeat.
- There are other options which you can choose as per your need.
- Click on save button to save your settings.
You should ensure that the SMS backup and restore app is excluded in the task killer apps. If you’ve not excluded, the scheduled backups might not work properly.
Now, the scheduled backup will backup the text messages at the specified time intervals. The backup will be stored in the internal storage and in the Gmail too.
By default, it will automatically backup all the text messages on the android to Gmail. If you want to backup selective conversations only in the scheduled backup, then check it out the following steps
- Go to preferences > backup settings. Enable selected conversations only option. Now, select the conversation that you want to backup.
- That’s it. From now on, the scheduled backup will automatically backup your selected conversations only to Gmail and internal storage.
Steps to Restore Text Messages from Gmail
If you want to recover deleted text messages from Gmail, please follow the below steps.
- Go to the Gmail account. Click on the backup XML file that you want to recover.
- Now, the Gmail will prompt the list of apps. Choose the SMS backup & restore app from the list.
- It’ll prompt you with two options such as view and restore.
- Click on the restore button. It’ll provide many options to you such as restore all messages. Choose them as per your need.
- Click on the view button to see all the conversations in the backup. From there you can restore selected conversations.
I hope the information in this post helps you to backup and restore text messages on Gmail. If you have any queries, feel free to ask me via comments. If you find the information in this post useful, please share this post with your friends on twitter, google plus, facebook and sign up for our newsletter.