Have you ever wait for the download to complete in order to shutdown system? Have you ever start a download in the night, fall asleep and the system runs unnecessarily after the download completes?
If your answer is "Yes", then here is the solution for this issue. You can make your system to automatically shutdown after
Auto Shutdown PC After Download Completes
- Install Auto Shutdown NG add-on.
- Go to Add-ons (Ctrl + Shift + A).
- Click on "Options" button beside add-on name.
- Click on "Open Preferences" button.
- The default notification time is 30 seconds. You can change it as per your need.
- Under the command, choose the Shutdown option from the drop-down list.
- Click on "Save" button.
From now on, start the download in Firefox and click on "Auto Shutdown NG" add-on. The add-on will get activated and it will
Chrome don’t have any add-on to auto shutdown PC after the download completes. But, you can do it by using our little trick.
Install "Download Shutdown" add-on. This add-on will generally close the Chrome when downloads are complete. Now, you need to create 2 files.
Open notepad. Type the following lines.
start /b /wait "chrome" "C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe"
shutdown.exe -s -f -t 60 -c "Let me shutdown your PC"
Make sure you’ve provided the correct path of the Chrome executable file. Save this file as wait.bat (Give any name you want but make sure you’ve saved it with .bat extension).
The first line of the batch file will open the chrome and wait for it to terminate. The second line of the batch file will get executed when the Chrome is terminated.
Open notepad. Type the following lines
set w = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
W.Run chr(34) & "C:UsersRajDownloadswait.bat" & chr(34), 0
set w= Nothing
Replace the path with where you’ve saved the batch file. Save this file as hidden.vbs. This VBScript code makes the batch file invisible.
Do the following steps to auto shutdown PC after the download completes on Chrome.
- Click the hidden.vbs. It will open the Chrome browser.
- Browse as usual and start the download. Once you start the download, click on "Download Shutdown" add-on. Click on "Activate" button.
- Once the download complete, the add-on will close the Chrome.
- Once the Chrome is closed, your computer will shutdown automatically.
Make a shortcut for hidden VBScript file, name the shortcut as Chrome and place it in the Desktop. By creating this shortcut, there is no need for you to remember about opening hidden VBScript file every time.
If you are using IDM to download, then you can auto shutdown PC using its inbuilt option.
- Start the download in IDM.
- Navigate to "Options on completion" tab.
- Uncheck the "Show download complete dialog".
- Check the following two options:
Turn off computer when done
Force processes to terminate